You've stumbled into my corner...

I won't make promises or claims. This may become my platform for the issues that affect me and mine, and it might simply be a diary of my day.
Mundane, perhaps... but my precious moments just the same.

It's me without any make-up.

Monday, November 10, 2008

Max Attack!

We picked up our new/replacement puppy yesterday! (See Goodbye, Buster for background) The breeder had given us the pick, with a suggestion towards one of the more unique-colored males; a patchwork with browns, greys and blacks, with bands of speckles across his face and paws. As beautiful as he was... my eye and attention kept going to the biggest boy in the litter. He was the only one with wagging tail, following Conner around the pen. He also showed his alpha tendency by growling and barking at the other dogs clamoring outside the pen. That's the personality I want; despite it meaning a tougher training period ahead due to his (presumed) strong will.

Pictures soon!! The move seemed to have swallowed the USB upload cables for the digital cameras. He's a grey with black leopard spots, with light brown/rust on his snout, tips of his ears, feet, tip of his tail and some on his belly. He has one blue (wall)eye, one brown. The first name that came to mind was Rusty. That is his sire's name though, so this puppy should have his own name. Yes, we anthropomorphize all our pets.

Conner's suggestions were Starwars or Steroid (??what??) and shot down everything I had to suggest. Funny how that works. I called Mark on the cell and asked for strong names, historically. His mother is 90lbs, and his father is at least the same or larger. This 8 week old puppy is going to be a brute, and I thought should have a fitting name. He suggested Maximus, from General Maximus, Gladiator. Conner, in true form, agreed with his father and thus our new puppy is known as Max. I actually think of Mad Max, not for the dog as it's a Blue Heeler, and I really have no reason except who can resist Mel? It's only been about 12 hours and he's starting to respond, at least to our voices if not the name.



Night one was kind of rough, Max cried for about 10 minutes before falling asleep. (Yay, that went well) A few hours later he woke up and I took him outside to pee. We had unplanned playtime, and then I put him back to bed. This time it didn't go so smoothly.... I ended up sleeping on the couch with my hand beside the crate for the rest of the night. I know he's a bit young to crate train for long term periods, but this is our best option at night right now. Considering he and his littermates are farm/barn raised I don't think we're being too horrible.

So Max is home. I have a new baby and a new schedule. He's already reminded me in the short time we've had him why I hand babies back to their Moms and go home to my potty trained, sleep through the night children. Thankfully, and sadly, this particular puppy stage won't last very long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't see the pix, but very happy for you!

CeeCee said...

uh oh.. the teh Mel Gibson picture isn't showing??

~Crystal said...

Congrat's on Max...can't wait to see pics!! And in my opinion, he's not too young to crate train, especially at night. It is the best option for puppies who are learning. Hallie is crate trained and is in there for night and when we are not at home to watch her. No chewing and destroying things she shouldn't be, no peeing on the floor & a crate kind of simulates a den which makes them feel safe & secure. Good luck with little Max!! :0)