You've stumbled into my corner...

I won't make promises or claims. This may become my platform for the issues that affect me and mine, and it might simply be a diary of my day.
Mundane, perhaps... but my precious moments just the same.

It's me without any make-up.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Positive Reinforcement Activity

One issue with which we struggle is Conner's attention seeking behaviours that more often than not tend to be mis-behaviours. Hitting, yelling, crying and temper tantrums - these occur with greater frequency when my attention is partly or wholly taken up by another task. Phone calls, for example, are prime for Conner to spin off into some crazy bouncing off the walls, ceiling and furniture tornado that turns off his ears and tunes out the world. Robyn tends to get hurt when this happens. So I end up with two upset kids. That's the background, yes we have work to do!

One of the main tools I use is pre-meditation and engage Conner in an activity before I have to leave the room or take my attention away. The same applies to Robyn, for consistency. I try my best to do this, as does Mark - but we're only human and you can't always plan for a 20 minute phone call. When speaking to my OT, she had a great suggestion to help reinforce Conner's good behaviour in a pretty simple way that should also help to raise his self esteem.

Every day, we choose a new colored piece of paper to put in an old picture frame I have. Every time we see him doing something nice or good, we give him a sticker to put on the paper. Some days, he has alot of stickers/stamps... other days not so many. At night, he puts the frame on the shelf by his bed, as a reminder of all the good things he did that day. It's also the first thing he sees in the morning to hopefully encourage him to fill up the new paper for the day.

It's a great activity - but it does take effort on our part to make it part of our routine. Conner has grown in leaps and bounds in the last three months, so it's hard to measure how each activity or strategy we're using actually makes a difference. I think overall, it's a great tool that has been helping our family as a whole be more positive in our feelings and interactions.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh, that IS a good one! me likey! :) thanks for sharing.