You've stumbled into my corner...

I won't make promises or claims. This may become my platform for the issues that affect me and mine, and it might simply be a diary of my day.
Mundane, perhaps... but my precious moments just the same.

It's me without any make-up.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kindergarten, The Beginning

I cannot believe how quickly time has passed. My first born is about to enter Kindergarten! While I’m reading stories from other mothers sharing in this life moment, I realize that perhaps I’m a bit less saddened by it. I suppose it may have to do with having sent Conner to pre-school for two years now, so we have that inaugural 1st day under our belts now.

I’m actually looking forward to this year with an equal measure each of trepidation and excitement. I feel like we’re finally in a good spot with Conner. Over the last 18 months, my husband and I have learned the why’s to Conner, or at least some of them. Now that we know why we are now able to address the what next. What Next has been my primary focus for the last 9 months. It’s been healthy for our family to reap the benefits of the education that we have sought and been receiving.

My worries about crossing into the education threshold have been waylaid greatly by the addition of the professionals that are now in our life. I know I can consult with them and ask for help to advocate for Conner in appropriate ways. With P.U.F., Conner will have an aide to help him and give him the one on one attention he requires for the things that he finds difficult: like activity transitions and story circles.

Now I just have to sit back, and wait. I have to let my little big man make his own steps, with the hope that when he stumbles, he'll be able to get back up. Now I have to learn how and when I can jump in and pick him up...


The hardest part for me, will be the transition from being the woman in his life – to having to share some of his heart with his teachers. It’s that road, as we travel it over the next decade and beyond, that will be the hard part for me.

1 comments:

~Crystal said...

I'm sure Conner will do great in kindergarten, especially with all of the help and resources that you guys have for him...and you as well. I wish him lots of luck in his first year of school!! :0)