You've stumbled into my corner...

I won't make promises or claims. This may become my platform for the issues that affect me and mine, and it might simply be a diary of my day.
Mundane, perhaps... but my precious moments just the same.

It's me without any make-up.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

The O.T. 2 week Blitz

It's been a busy couple of weeks for me and the kids. Earlier in the year, we enrolled Conner in a program Mary Culshaw (Great Beyond Therapy) holds specifically tailored towards children with Sensory Processing Disorder. In this case, Mary's concentration was Kindergarten Readiness. Conner and I met daily with Mary in her clinic for 2 weeks (5 days, weekend, then 5 days). While the hour long drive there and back was inconvenient, every minute and dollar spent was very well worth it.

I was skeptical, to be honest, about the program and thinking that maybe we didn't need to invest so much money right now into a program like this, especially when Conner has been so relatively calm since return from our vacation. However, after Day Two, I realized the benefit that Conner was already receiving. I brought home a calm, happy and relaxed little boy Tuesday afternoon that stayed with us right up until it was time for bed. (We had a melt down complete with tears and screaming at that point) While I was making supper, he colored in his room. There was no fighting with Robyn; even when she pulled out her bag of tricks designed to send her big brother into hysterics. He sat through supper (without banging), ate it well and then returned to his coloring afterwards.

Not knowing my son, you would wonder what's so amazing about the above. I had to hide my emotions a bit, as I was almost overcome with happiness and relief to finally see our little guy, of all things: content. He wasn't thrashing, or jittering so much that he couldn't stay long enough to finish a picture. He had focus enough to plan out what he wanted to draw, and then explain it all to us when he was finished - including what he would do next. He had the self-control to refrain from screaming at or otherwise abusing Robyn when she entered the room - and was able to use his words calmly and effectively when she turned on the bug power. For as much growth Conner has done over the summer - this all in one evening was simply amazing for us to witness.

The best part? It continued throughout the week, (I held my breath) throughout the weekend... and with some bumps, the second week as well. Why? Mary has explained to me that we're seeing the effects of modulation for Conner. For him, that means alot of heavy work, some quiet/dark time in a place that he can stretch and push. Sure, there's more to it than that, but it's a place for us to start. I learned so much that I'm running over with information and ideas and strategies.

We have had some bad behaviour - he is five afterall. It's not a cure, and it wasn't meant to be. Conner will not change because of a few O.T visits... but I don't want him to change. I love my boy for who he is; we just need to keep working on teaching ourselves and him ways that he can communicate and interact with a world that is wired just a bit differently than him.

With a return to our former routine, perhaps I'll start posting more regularly! In two weeks, we start Kindergarten!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This sounds like an awesome program! If only we had something similar close to Toronto. Hmmm... I'm going to check out the link you provided.

So glad you've seen some progress with your son. It must be wonderful to see him so calm. Yay!