You've stumbled into my corner...

I won't make promises or claims. This may become my platform for the issues that affect me and mine, and it might simply be a diary of my day.
Mundane, perhaps... but my precious moments just the same.

It's me without any make-up.

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Celebrating the Differences

Since coming home from vacation, Conner has continued to be relaxed. (I will write about our vacation soon!(tm)). Not only does it relieve our worries a bit, but it also has the effect of letting the entire family relax a bit too. Particularly when we're facing a bit of a family uproar. Normally, this would have Conner on edge, and out of control.

I am seeing some behaviours returning though; ones that I haven't seen for some time. Last night, he was eating a mandarin orange before bed. When I checked on his progress, I noticed he had lined each slice up perfectly in line, at the same angle to each other across the arm of the couch. I paused, as my first instinct was to tell him that food doesn't belong on the couch, but I wanted to see what he would do next. He counted each slice, and then started eating. After he ate each one, he would count them all again. I realized while watching, that he's been lining up and counting objects alot lately, sometimes in tandem, sometimes as seperate behaviours.


I can handle this better than some of his other behaviours! Perhaps it's a calming activity for him? I'll have to ask his OT, but as long as it doesn't morph into something that disrupts his daily routine significantly, then I can't see the harm. So often I'm looking at Conner wondering what I can do to "fix" some of his troubles, this time, my instinct tells me to relax and celebrate his differences.

We all have ways that that work for us to relax and unwind. Seeing the smile on Conner's face and the enthusiasm with which he completes his personal game gives me hope for a bright and happy future.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be so relaxed about my son's issues. Good for you! :)