You've stumbled into my corner...

I won't make promises or claims. This may become my platform for the issues that affect me and mine, and it might simply be a diary of my day.
Mundane, perhaps... but my precious moments just the same.

It's me without any make-up.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Take a Deep Breath and Count (Part 2)

In early December, Conner was diagnosed (potentially) with Sensory Processing Disorder (Part 1 of Conner's Journey). In addition to SPD, the doctor noted compulsion/anxiety disorder. Thus began our journey. The first things on our list: referral to mental health services for the compulsion/anxiety.

We were immediately received for an initial intake upon the completion thereof I was informed that because of his age (he was still 4) there were no services available for him. The system does not recognize anxiety or other related disorders in children under 6, therefore there is no funding or programming targeted for them. We were told to come back once Conner was in school. I took it all in, gathered up the kids and went home.

By the time Mark got home, I was crying. Not knowing what this meant, and feeling overwhelmed about navigating us successfully through “the system” was a lot of pressure that I took on myself. I knew I had to be strong for my son, but I wondered whether I would be able. So I started doing what I could and asking around, first to people I knew, and then branched out to anyone who might know anything on the subject.

Upon consultation with his ECS teacher, I was able to get my hands on some good reading resources. I spent the next couple of weeks researching SPD and related developmental disorders and helping Mark learn about it as well. Come January, we took Conner to his EEG. He behaved so well that he was rewarded with any toy of his choosing from Toys R Us. If you know Conner, you already know what he chose; a giant dinosaur. This time, a long neck.

In February, the occupational therapist assigned to him through the central public referrals contacted us and arranged to observe and assess him at school. As chance would have it, Conner had a great day at school. This, at that point in the school year, was the exception rather than the norm for Conner to manage transitions and activities without tantrums and crying. He even participated in social play with other children without being prodded. This was something to celebrate! The report reflected Conner’s behaviour on this one particular day, and while she acknowledged the background and history, her assessment was that Conner had no significant delays or problems. She suggested some behaviour strategies to me and some parenting tips and followed up by phone once.

This may have been the end of the road were it not for Conner’s amazing teacher. She believed quite strongly that he would benefit from the attention and help he would receive from an aide. She embarked on a task to help Conner receive P.U.F (Hallejullah! Funding for Conner) for that purpose. She arranged for another assessment, this time by a family and child psychologist and therapist. While the report had some similar notes to the first one done, the second assessment gave us a more thorough examination and follow-up, including two pages of suggestions and tips to help Conner. Using that report, along with her own notes, his teacher was able to attain funding for P.U.F.

Yippeee!!! In the same week, Conner was accepted by a private Occupational Therapist, Mary Culshaw, to her clinic in August. The clinic will specifically target skills and functions Conner will need to be able to carry out well to help him succeed in Kindergarten. It’s not cheap, nor is it very convenient but we are thrilled and looking forward to participating.

The next chapter: Conner’s pediatric follow-up and saying no to drugs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I too have a 4 year old son who has SPD and some early signs of OCD and anxiety. We're also seeing an OT and are waiting to be seen by a child psych. The waiting is the hardest. Knowing your child needs help, but not knowing how to give it, is even worse.

I'm going to do some more reading of your blog. It sounds like our boys are very much alike (even in their love of dinosaurs!)...

Kia
Good Enough Mama

Unknown said...

Glad to hear he had such a wonderful teacher who went the extra mile for him. I find it so frustrating that it seems that it's always the day the child is to have an eval that they have a good day and don't display their typical behaviors. Been there.

It's great to know that you had someone to help advocate for your son.