You've stumbled into my corner...

I won't make promises or claims. This may become my platform for the issues that affect me and mine, and it might simply be a diary of my day.
Mundane, perhaps... but my precious moments just the same.

It's me without any make-up.

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sounding Off - The Hullabaloo Around " I Do"

The following is a rant, or soap box item that is a general issue. The title, Sounding Off, is the indicator that this is an issue that affects me outside of my family bubble. knowing myself and my strong opinions on just about everything, there should be more to come.

It's that time of year again: the wedding season. If you’re even thinking about getting married, or know someone who’s thinking of getting married, much less actually in the throes of wedding planning madness, there is no escape from the endless details and excitement. Even if you are mostly unaffected and oblivious to the wedding bug, it’s hard to avoid the office chat that can also adopt a wedding theme at this time of year. One recent conversation revolving around a debate between a mother and daughter over a dress and another mother and daughter fight over shoes, affected me for the rest of the day.

Family fights, tearful brides, budget woes that in themselves contribute to higher tensions; this has become the accepted marking of the beginning of a couple's journey in life together? It’s certainly easy to get caught up in the marketing; flowers, cakes, dresses, shoes, bubbles, tuxes, invitations, venues, menus, and more all adorning the glossy magazine covers showing picture perfect happy couples in romantic splendour. I suspect we as a society easily lose perspective by confusing the "success" of the wedding as a template for the marriage.

A wedding is the union of two people who are choosing to spend the rest of their lives together. The rest is just details, period.

0 comments: