You've stumbled into my corner...

I won't make promises or claims. This may become my platform for the issues that affect me and mine, and it might simply be a diary of my day.
Mundane, perhaps... but my precious moments just the same.

It's me without any make-up.

Monday, April 6, 2009

Shrinking My Footprint

Since moving out to the country and becoming a full-time homemaker, I've become more sensitive to the impact my family and I leave on the environment. I've been working, slowly, at incorporating energy conscious, waste reducing habits into our lives. I know we could do better, but at least I'm actively trying to be more green.


(1) (<-- picture of the compost bin I want Mark to build) The biggest thing for us, that Mark still resists, is composting our household waste. I try not to buy paper towels, but I don't feel as bad when they go into the compost bin instead of the garbage when I do use them. I've found a remarkable amount of "garbage" that now goes into my little white garbage can in the kitchen that I use as temporary compost storage. I get giddy as I watch it fill!




(2) I've reduced our use of chemical cleaners for the house. I still have some around, but I'm weaning myself off of them slowly. My favorite replacement is good ol' vinegar and water (check out http://www.versatilevinegar.org/usesandtips.html). It cuts through anything, and I honestly love the smell after washing my floors. Clean, without that industrial irritation that I always used as the "clean" standard.



(3) We have big plans for a substantial vegetable garden this year. It's going to be alot of work (part of my weight-loss plan, no joke), but it will help us cut our purchase of non-local groceries, not to mention the taste of fresh produce is incentive alone!

I'm a bit nervous to be honest, about how much weeding will be required. We're planning on using organic methods as much as possible - no pesticides, herbicides, fertilizer etc. We'll see how it goes!








(4) Over the next few years, I plan on replacing all the lawn turf around the house and along the driveway with certified native grasses, shrubs and flowers. I know to some it may look a bit messy, as it will not be the immaculate green carpet of lawn to which we've all grown accustomed. The prairie garden will serve a few purposes: Low maintenance, environmentally sustainable, butterfly & moth habitat, native plants conservation, uniqueness. It's going to be a big multi-year project for me and I can't wait to get started!


6 comments:

~Crystal said...

Way to go with going green!! Every little bit helps. :) And I love #4 idea!!! I love the look of the tall grasses combined with flowers. Looks absolutely beautiful...and with the old fence, wow!! As for the vegetable garden, I say good for you if you can do it!! I am NOT a garden person. Don't like them, don't like to weed them. But hat's off to those who do!

Anonymous said...

I too love idea #4



I wanted to invite ya to a mommy message http://www.chatterscene.com

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your endeavor. Thanks for your concern on the environment and the future of the next generation that is. Hey Mom, in case you have a business expansion or thinking of putting up one it might help to know that there are free Canadian government grants available.

~Crystal said...

I'm giving you an award on my blog. :)

Matt Earle said...

I had great results planting Myrtle (with little purple flowers) to create a zero maintenance, no pesticide ground cover around my house. About me: I do a ton of gardening and also am interested in mining stocks and help people find small business loans.

Keep posting pretty pictures CeeCee!

Heather said...

Hi I’m Heather! Please email me when you get a chance! I have a question about your blog. HeatherVonsj(at)gmail(dot)com